Friday 21 May 2010

Red Velvet Revolution






I have to say, Red Velvet cupcakes are by far my favorite. Not only are they a stunningly beautiful deep red, they taste as good as they look. Until I actually made my own red velvet cupcakes, I didn't know where the deep red color came from. I knew it wasn't food coloring alone. In fact, it's very simple. The mixture of the red food coloring with the coco powder is the secret to the incredibly beautiful color. It's a lot of food coloring though, so be prepared for red fingers and a red tongue (if you're like me and constantly lick your fingers). And wear an apron for this one.

Over the course of a few days, and many mishaps, I finally decided on the red velvet cupcake recipe from the Hummingbird Bakery baking book that I bought a little while ago. I like this recipe for two reasons. One, it is the perfect color - not all recipes call for the same amount of food coloring so some are pinker and lighter than others. And two, the actual cupcake itself is not too sweet which helps balance out the sweetness of the icing. The sweetness factor is key in making great cupcakes. I have had many a cupcake that has left me feeling a little woozy from the overdose of sugar and I have, admittedly, a very strong sweet tooth so you can only imagine how sweet they must have been. You don't want to make people sick from the sweetness of your cupcakes because you really want them coming back for more.

I'm always very thankful to my roommates for inexhaustibly offering up their tasting skills because by the time I'm finished baking and icing, I've usually licked an entire cupcake's worth of batter and icing off my fingers and I can't imagine having to eat another one just yet. Frenchie, the self-proclaimed "sssugar boy" is probably my most accurate sweetness meter. Though I love my sugar, he may love it even more, which means, if it's too sweet for him, it's
way too sweet for everyone else. Between the moist deep red cupcake and the creamy white icing, these red velvet cupcakes are quite the indulgence.

Hummingbird Bakery Red Velvet Cupcakes (makes 12)

Ingredients: (preheat oven to 325)

4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
2 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened coco powder
3 tablespoons red food coloring
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 buttermilk (you can buy buttermilk almost anywhere but you can also make your own. Simply add 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar to 1 cup whole milk and let sit for at least one hour)
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar

Directions:

With a handheld electric mixer, or a freestanding electric mixer, cream the butter and the sugar until white and fluffy. Add the egg and beat until well combined. Scrap down the sides of the bowl.

In a separate small bowl, combine the coco powder, red food coloring and vanilla extract to make a thick paste. Add to the butter and sugar mixture and beat thoroughly. Scrap down the sides of the bowl once more.

On low speed, slowly add half the buttermilk. Beat until well combined and then add half the flour beating again until everything is well incorporated. Repeat this process until both the buttermilk and flour have been added. Scrape down the sides of the bowl then turn the mixer on high and beat until smooth and even.

Turn the mixer down to low and add the baking soda and vinegar. Beat on low until well combined then turn up to high speed and beat for a couple more minutes. Spoon batter into the cupcakes paper cases until three-quarters full and bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the cake bounces back when touched. A toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean.

Let cool in cupcake tin for five minutes then turn out onto wire rack to cool completely.

Vanilla buttercream icing (with a little cream cheese for tartness)

For the icing I used a very light cream cheese icing, not the icing from the Hummingbird Bakery recipe. It's a personal preference merely. I just don't like the taste of too much cream cheese on my cupcakes so I only put a meager two tablespoons of cream cheese in my normal vanilla buttercream icing instead of 4oz. If you like the cream cheese icing feel free to use the full 4oz.

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons cream cheese, chilled
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:

Cream the butter and cream cheese in a bowl, slowly adding 1 cup of the confectioners' sugar and 1 tablespoon of milk. Beat until well combined, starting on the lowest speed possible and gradually increasing, otherwise you will end up as I always do, covered in powdered sugar. After fully combined, add the 2nd cup of confectioners' sugar and the vanilla extract. Whip until fluffy.

Ice the cupcakes once completely cooled. Eat and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment